Fix Your Wheelie Bin For Free!
Did you know that you can get your broken wheelie bin replaced for free?
There is a council policy document called The Kerbside Waste Bin Entitlement and clarifies your entitlements of wheelie bins. In the document they refer to wheelie bins as “Mobile Garbage Bins” or MGBs! How American hey?
The policy goes on to explain the ins and outs of what bin gets supplied and who owns it etc etc. It also explains the difference between residential bins and commercial bins and what the additional levies include.
The MGB (Wheelie Bin) entitlement:
Urban residential properties that have been levied an annual Domestic Waste Management charge are entitled to a 3 bin waste service (one mixed waste bin, one recycling bin, and one organics bin) free of charge on the commencement of service at the eligible property. The rural Domestic Waste Management charge entitles eligible properties to a 2 bin waste service (one mixed waste bin and one recycling bin).
MGB available specifications are noted as:
- 120 litre – waste and recycling
- 140 litre – organics
- 240 litre – waste, recycling and organics
- 360 litre – recycling
and that they must remain at the property of issue.
Wheelie Bin Replacement policy (taken from the policy)
- Replacement of bins due to operational, disaster or warranty damage is free of charge.
- Council policy for the re-issue of the bins is to limit free replacement to one of each bin, within a 24 month period, to avoid excessive wastage of bins.
- Replacement of a bin due to wilful damage or neglect may incur Council charges against the property unless there are special circumstances that justify not charging. In some cases the applicant will be required to submit appropriate documentation stating the special circumstances.
- Repeated stolen bin issues are to be investigated to ensure the property owner is returning the bin to within the property boundary after service. Failure to return bin to the property after service may negate eligibility of a free bin issue.
Ballina Shire Council is responsible for the repair or replacement of MGBs associated with Council’s waste and recycling collection services. Bins will be repaired where necessary before replacement.
Types of damage:
- Broken lid
- Cracked base
- Broken handles
- Lid hinges
They will only replace them if it’s wear and tear or broken in normall use, you may come up against some issues if they find the bin has been wrecked during a game of back yard cricket.
How To Get The Replace
You will need to fill out an online form or call the council to have them replaced. I highly reccommend that you take some photos of the damage and include them with the replacement application.
You will need to fill out a separate form for each damged bin too.
Wheelie Bin Cleaning
Book in for your bin clean today!
$8.50 per bin
Example of a broken lid